A message from Mohamad…
Fellow Toastmasters and friends,
I am excited to announce my candidacy for Toastmasters International Director of Region 5. I am passionate about serving our members and organization as we change lives and help individuals find their voice. With the recent organizational, educational, and technological changes, the next few years are crucial for our members and organization. In collaboration with other Board members, I want to develop policies and plans to ensure that we continue to be the organization “Where Leaders Are Made.” Additionally, I would like to gain experience in International policy development and strategic planning.
I look forward to meeting and talking with all of you at some point. Please continue reading below to learn more about me, my commitment to Toastmasters and the skills I will use to serve you. I look forward to globally communicating, collaborating, and connecting with each of you.
If you would like to schedule an appointment with me, please click the applicable link at the bottom of this page.
In service to the member,
Mohamad Qayoom, DTM, IPDD
Globally Communicating, Collaborating, and Connecting…
Mohamad believes in open lines of communication at every level between everyone in Toastmasters International. Communicating globally will foster collaboration to share strategies, solutions, and successes. This will result in lasting connections worldwide.
Mohamad Qayoom has over thirteen (13) years of professional Information Technology (IT) experience with the last ten (10) of those years at LSU Health Sciences Center New Orleans (LSUHSC-NO) in the IT department. He possesses a flexible portfolio of information systems management and services developed through hands-on architectural expertise. He has implemented projects of all sizes, scope, and diversity, including hardware, software, voice, data, and equipment. He currently is accountable for creating projects consistent with engineering best practices, providing 3rd-level operational support, delivering solutions to increase network resiliency, conducting technology assessment, product and supplier selection, vendor negotiations, requirements analysis, and advanced hardware/software solutions to meet business requirements. He has been recognized by executive administrators, staff, clients, vendors, and customers for leadership, accountability, and the ability to get the results. He is currently working on a project to create a high-speed data network in the research areas of LSUHSC-NO and to create a Science DMZ to enable data sharing. He is also collaborating with the University of Chicago to expand data distribution and sharing networks through the Globus research data management platform. In the current proposal, will advise and guide the DMAC team on network security, data distribution, and Globus deployment across the SRP projects and cores.
Family and Community
Mohamad is a devoted husband, married to Urooj for 11 years. Together they have three children Simra (8), Sarim (6), and Yousuf (infant). Mohamad enjoys running and playing cricket and tennis. He volunteers his time serving a local food bank and teaching cybersecurity skills to teenagers. He is a student of improv comedy.
During his years of service as an Information Technology Security Consultant and as an adjunct instructor at local colleges and universities, Mohamad has gained valuable experience that relate to his role as an International Director.
- His experience in technology and cybersecurity will be valuable to Toastmasters International as the educational and membership programs and systems continue to flourish and develop.
- His experience in analyzing and solving complex problems has equipped me to help make organizational decisions. As a certified Project Management Professional (PMP), Mohamad manages projects of varying sizes, scopes, and budgets, which will enable him to better understand and assist with overseeing Toastmasters International fiduciary responsibilities.
- His involvement in completing time-sensitive projects in high-pressure environments has prepared him to better meet the challenges that Toastmasters International encounters.
- His recent experience in winning national-level competitive grants to obtain funding has afforded him the ability to convey clear, concise, and cohesive organizational needs to external stakeholders. This will benefit him as a Toastmasters International board member in developing and communicating policies.
- His years as an instructor have equipped him to understand educational needs of our members and ask the right questions when addressing significant member disciplinary matters.
Mohamad joined Toastmasters in 2013 because he wanted to advance in his professional career. He started competing in speech contests soon after he became a Toastmaster. After serving in multiple club officer roles, he started serving as a district officer. During this journey, his district was on the brink of dissolution. He was fortunate to belong to a team that turned the district around and it became one of the most successful districts in North America.
Positions and Employment
- 2007 – present IT Consultant, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA
- 2010 – 2016 Adjunct Instructor, ITT Technical Institute, New Orleans, LA
Other Experience and Professional Memberships
- 2018 – Current Immediate Past District Director, District 68, Toastmasters International
- 2018 – Current Project Manager, Routing Team, Scinet for Super Computing ‘18
- 2018 – Current Panel Reviewer, National Sciences Foundation
- 2015 – Current New Orleans Chapter Lead, Fuel Palo Alto Networks User Group
- 2018 – 2018 Program Committee Member, NSF CC* and CICI Meeting
- 2017 – 2018 District Director, District 68, Toastmasters International
- 2016 – 2017 Program Quality Director, District 68, Toastmasters International
- 2015 – 2016 Division D Director, District 68, Toastmasters International2015 – 2016 Information Technology Advisory Board Member
- 2010 – 2014 Board Member, University of New Orleans International Alumni Association
- 2018 President’s Distinguished District Director, Toastmasters International
- 2017 Excellence is Program Quality, Toastmasters International
- 2017 Division Director of the year award, District 68
- 2010 Dean’s Graduate School Scholarship
- 2006 Marcus B. Christian Graduate Scholarship
Schedule an interview…
Trio members and other voting delegates are invited and encouraged to speak with Mohamad. Schedule a phone call/online meeting or an in-person interview at the Toastmasters International Convention by clicking the applicable link below.
Get in touch and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can. We look forward to hearing from you!